Friday 16 September 2011

My iPhone, my lifeline

Well, it's been a whole 3 weeks since we've been in our flat here in London.  Amazing!  Paul's enjoying his new job - still figuring it out but he's having fun.  And I've been having fun making a home.

The weather here couldn't be any better !!!  In 3 weeks we've only seen rain about 3 or 4 days, and that was just for a few hours.  The majority of the time it's been sunny, blue sky and about 70'ish degrees.  Awwww - the London weather!  I've been warned not to get used to this though....

Because of this weather, I haven't spent as much time inside.  It's more fun to explore. 
Hummm - in the past I used to pride myself on having a good sense of direction.  Whether in the Colorado mountains or the Texas flatlands, I was pretty good at knowing where I was and able to get anywhere (at least most of the time)   Well, I've taken this prideful attitude with me here to London - but WOW - for whatever reason, I have gotten totally turned around on many occasions!  I have lost my sense of direction.  There are even times when i'm walking home - I turn the wrong way.  I mean - REALLY???   What's happened to me??

BUT...... there is hope - my iPhone4.  This little device has saved me many times.  There are several Apps that I highly recommend:
  • Maps:  Will show your location and you can enter an address and it will map it for you.  Kinda like a GPS.
  • AroundMe: This is the coolest ever !!!!  Enter what you're looking for and it will find the closest to you. For example, this is how I found my hairdresser.  I just searched on Hair Stylists and then I walked to each one until I found the one I like.  I had my first London haircut earlier this week.  That's another blog :)
  • Tube Map: (the tube is the subway system in London) This app will tell you which tube lines to take to get where you're going.  It also has a tube map that you can zoom in and actually read !  This is helpful for my aging eyes (that small print is impossible to read without glasses - ARGHHH)
  • BusMapper: I am still not very good at using the bus system here.  It's still confusing to me - which direction, which side of the road to be on, which stop to be at, etc.  And this app isn't very flexible or helpful.  But at least it's something to try.  Sometimes I like to take a bus vs. the tube - so I can see the area.  The tube is very boring and dark.
If you have any questions regarding these apps - just ask.  I'm becoming an expert on them.  But never never ask me to give up my iPhone!!!! 

Have a wonderful, blessed day.  And stay tuned for more adventures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment