Sunday 11 September 2011

Paris Adventure: Aug. 28 - 30








Our 1st Paris adventure - Aug 28 - 30

Day 1: Sunday Aug. 28
Paul has to be in his Paris office  on Aug 29 & 30. And since we don't have Internet or TV at our flat til next Thursday we decide it'd be more fun for me to join him (he he)

We take the Eurostar train from London to Paris. It's about a 2.5 hour trip.  Too cool going under the English channel - it's mainly dark but cool to think your 210+ ft below the channel!!

It was an adventure trying to decide between taking a taxi to our hotel our the train.  We decided on train and the adventure was intensified. But we figures it out and made it to the hotel. After a quick snack we headed for a boat tour. Walked around Eiffel tower and the Champs Élysées where we ate dinner - admiring the Paris scene.  Then a walk up the Arch de Triumph to finish the evening.

Day 2:
Now it's Monday and I'm off on my own - scary!!!
Found my way to Notre Dame - that is awesome.  Then headed to the Pantheon. Had to pull out my iPhone to help with directions (the iPhone is becoming my best friend :) .  Alittle clearer to follow than the map. The crypts at the Pantheon were fascinating.

Found my way back near Notre dame to roam the tourist shops and stop for a refreshing glass of white wine while I wait for Paul to get off work and take the metro to meet me.

His coworkers told him of a great restaurant - the oldest in Paris. It's a bit pricey but very nice.
A late night stroll around the Lourve make for a perfect ending to the perfect day.


Day 3 - Tuesday Aug 29
Breakfast in hotel, a few emails sent then off for the day. Again Paul leaves for his office (I guess someone has to work :). )

I head to Musee d'Orsay. Didn't think there would be an hour wait at 10am. Oh well it's a beautiful morning.
It's huge inside. So many things to see. An hour and a half and I need a break. Better go to the nice restaurant for lunch. The special is salmon - it was so good.
I sat next to a cool couple from Melbourne Australia - John and Jane.  We talked the entire lunch and exchanged contact info.  How awesome to have a friend in Melbourne.  They may web visit us in London when they are there in s few weeks

Finish touring the museum and make an attempt to find Hotel DES Invalides (this is Napoleon's tomb).  No luck - but wonder around looking at other Paris marvels and end up on Champs Eleysees. Better stop for a glass of wine - still have time before I meet Paul.  We head back tonight on the Eurostar.

Warning when visiting Paris - watch out for scammers. One that was played on me twice in a couple hours was the "look I just found this cool gold ring and I want you to have it for good luck".  I think they want you to give them money in exchange for the ring. I gave the first girl some change but wouldn't take the ring. The 2nd guy I told hi this trick has already been played in me an he left quickly.  They know enough English to be scary.

I'm used to in your face begging / selling like in Peru so I wasn't prepared for this. Be careful all women traveling alone. 

Well - late Tuesday evening we're back on the Eurostar to home, London.   On to more English adventures.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment